Saturday, September 23, 2006

Weekend update

I'm a little late for Friday, so this week it's just the weekend update.

This week I mostly did problems at CTS and only a little bit from Baburin's book. One thing I worked on at CTS this week is making sure I look at every piece on the board. Sometimes I tend to get lazy in terms of viewing the whole board. A lot of the problems I fail on or take too long on, it's because there is a key piece I simply haven't even looked at. For example, a bishop moving on a long diagonal, or a rook that comes from the other side of the board. So I'm trying to make sure I am using the entire board.

After 13,383 tries, my CTS rating is 1651 with a high of 1653.

I also decided that I haven't been playing enough longer time control games, so I played a few this week. It's hard to tell if I'm playing better as a result of CTS training, but it seems like I am more aware tactically. I was a bit disappointed with my play in a few spots, but hopefully reviewing these mistakes will help me play better in the future.

I've ordered CT-Art and will start work on that problem set as soon as possible. CTS has been great for pattern recognition, but I feel like I need something to help me practice calculating. I've also ordered 3 books. Stean's Simple Chess, Andy Soltis' Pawn Structure Chess, and Jeremy Silman's Reassess Your Chess Workbook. I think these should keep me busy for a little while.

Countdown to tournament time: 3 weeks!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Speaking of The Weekend Update, Saturday Night Live begins live again next weekend. Horatio Sans is gone (yeah!), as are Rachel Dretch, Tina Fey, and Chris Parnell.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Loomis said...

Horatio Sans was hilarious, though I admit I haven't watched SNL for a few years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home