Tuesday, December 01, 2009

level 20 complete

I completed level 20 last night, finishing with a 97% score. Not bad, but the goal is 100% and there were a few problems I missed that I really should get. A bit over 2 weeks for the first 2 levels is a slow pace. I should be putting more time into this.

After my last update chesstiger reminded us that solving tactics problems is a little artificial because you know there is a tactic to find and in your games you won't have this cue. True, and of course, solving tactics problems isn't intended as a simulated game experience. Solving tactics problems is about learning patterns and practicing calculation. You can debate and philosophize all you like on whether or not this helps in a game situation, I'll be solving more tactics and hoping it does.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger From the patzer said...

"Solving tactics problems is about learning patterns and practicing calculation."

I totally agree with this. Now fingers crossed that in the heat of the battle in an official game one indeed does remember the learned patterns.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Phaedrus said...

I agree with the both of you. Solving is different from playing, but it is still the most efficient way to absorb the patterns.

I question however the repetition in the 7 circles. As soon as one remembers the position, the pattern loses importance and the benefits of the exercise diminish rapidly.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Phaedrus,

I have actually been wondering what actually happens in the repetitions. I may be drawing some of the same conclusions you are. I'm planning on including that in my next post from the perspective of doing these problems more than a year and a half after having done repetitions on them before.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger James Stripes said...

You are correct that it is about pattern recognition. It is also worth noting that some puzzles do exist that are positional in nature. There are a small handful, for example, in Lev Alburt's Pocket Training Book where the key is to recognize the need to seize the open file.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home