Sunday, November 04, 2007

My first correspondence games

I have started playing some correspondence chess on chess.com. Before I was able to get some good opponents I had to raise my rating. Those games were fun, but not terribly instructive. I also now have some more serious games to annotate, some of which are in line with my assessment that I am trying to force the tactics too much.

Here is a sample position from a fun game:
Black to move

White has just played 10. Na4? Of course, the obvious fork Qh4+ comes to mind (if Ke2 Bxg1 before taking the knight still wins a piece). In a blitz game, I'd probably snap the piece off without a second thought, but in a correspondence game, why not take time to analyze 10. ... Qh4+ 11. Ke2 Qf2+! 12. Kd3 Black has passed on the opportunity to take the piece in favor of pushing the king to open space. So black needs to find the right continuation here before playing move 11. Checks are always tempting, but correct here is 12. ... Rc8 putting the king in a box where the threat is Ne5#. White does not have an adequate way to deal with the threat, for example 13. f4 Bxf4 14. Nf3 Qe3# (14. Qe2 Ne5+ 15. Qxe5 Qxc2+ 16. Kd4 Qc4#). My opponent tried 13. c4 Rxc4, which is also ineffective.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one! It's really interesting what one can find when looking a little bit further. This is especially hard when you can get a piece for free.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger James Stripes said...

Chess.com is a nice site. I enjoy playing there. It has potential to join the select group of the best turn-based sites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home