Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday Update

I'm making it in time for Friday this week!

I'm still waiting on CT-Art and the books I ordered, so most of my chess time this week was spent on Chess Tactics Server (CTS) and I am definitely getting better there. My rating is up to 1668 after 14096 tries (high of 1670). This is about a 50 point improvement since I started the Friday updates 8 weeks and 7000 tries ago and more than 110 points higher than when I first started at CTS.

Recently I have mostly been using CTS to work on seeing the whole board quickly and accurately. I want to be able to see each piece and where it can potentially go with a quick scan of the board. I noticed after trying this for a while that I was missing a lot of pawn moves. So I started to make sure that in my sweep of the board I paid attention to threatening pawn moves, especially pawns close to promotion.

I also spent some time with Baburin's book and I'm nearly done with chapter 7. That's the last chapter of section 1, so I'll move on to the other books when they arrive and I'm finished with chapter 7.

In other news, a tournament came on my radar for this weekend. It's just a 3 round one day event. I'm not sure what the time control is, I think it's something like G/60. This will be a good warm-up for the two day event I'll play in two weeks from now. It's also a good way to get in some longer serious games. Hopefully I'll have something interesting to say about these games next week.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger transformation said...

dear loomis, these are most impressive results. and congratulations on your 1670. this is very notable.

BTW, i am using CT-Art 3.0 and while i am taking one of the many short term breaks from it i am want to utilize, plan to get back soon as soon as i am 22,000 @ 85.0% as planned all summer now.

samurai has done the same as me, or rather me the same as he, and that is go back and forth between these two. the synergy of both is far greater than one alone, as you know better than i, surely given you objectively demonstrated superior knowledge of or skill at chess.

i have made my best progress at CTS reducing perhaps excessive tries, and spreading 20% of my effort to CTA, according to the law of deminishing returns.
----------------------

i hope that you do not mind a tiny bit of parallel content here:

"Pareto Principle
A principle, named after economist Vilfredo Pareto, that specifies an unequal relationship between inputs and outputs. The principle states that, for many phenomena, 20% of invested input is responsible for 80% of the results obtained. Put another way, 80% of consequences stem from 20% of the causes. Also referred to as the "Pareto rule" or the "80/20 rule".

Notes:
This principle serves as a general reminder that the relationship between inputs and outputs is not balanced. For instance, the efforts of 20% of a corporation's staff could drive 80% of the firm's profits. In terms of personal time management, 80% of your work-related output could come from only 20% of your time at work.

The Pareto Principle can be applied in a wide range of areas such as manufacturing, management and human resources. In Pareto's case, he used the rule to explain how 80% of property in Italy was owned by 20% of the country's population."

http://financial-dictionary.
thefreedictionary.com/Paretos+Law

 

Post a Comment

<< Home