Friday, October 06, 2006

Ct-Art Exercise 252

I am through exercise 252 in CT-Art, stopping there because I spent far too long on that problem. The solution I calculated actually did win a piece or the exchange, but the correct solution won a queen for a rook. It's a little disappointing that the program doesn't count winning a piece as correct, but the requirement to be perfect will be good for getting better.

Here's the problem in question:
Black to move

My solution was. 1. ... Qe4+, CT-Art gave 2. f3 as a refutation. My planned response to this move was 2. ... Nxd2 3. fxe4 Rc4 where I am attacking the rook and the bishop.

The better solution is 1. Rg3+ fxg3 2. Qe4+ and now black can take the queen free and clear.

CT-Art statistics:

  • level 10: 97% (110 problems)
  • level 20: 94% (142 problems)
  • elo: 2031

It will probably take me through the end of next week to finish level 20. Tomorrow's regular weekly update will include some comments on this weeks work at CTS.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 6:08 AM, Blogger transformation said...

tonight i spent fifteen minutes on practice problem 533. sitting and staring. i knew that the g1 square was weak, but how to get at it????? then afterwards, we see the solution, oh how 'obvious'!

2009 elo @ 77%.

Let me know how Level Three goes, it really gets NASTY.

:) warm regards, dk

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Screw the program! If you found an alterative to the main solution on your own, give yourself a pat on the back for your creative mind!

/Chris

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

I appreciate the pat on the back, but the point is that I am supposed to learn something from these problems. For that, it is best that overlooking any variation is punished. I just wish that once I got to a certain point in being unable to solve a problem I could give in and see the answer. Is this possible and I'm just missing something?

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Loomis, if I am unable to find the solution in CT-Art, I just right-click and first choose show markers, and if I still can't find it I choose game 5x5. If I still can't find the solution I just make wrong moves until the program plays through the whole thing. The you can click the annotations to the right and go through the problem ste-by-step. Maybe I misunderstood your question or maybe I'm just stating the obvious. Hopefully it will be of some help. :)

/CHris

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and another thing. In the case you mentioned in the post. Isn't it so that the the people who made CT-Art overlooked your variation?

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Yes, it seems they stopped calculating after f3, at least, that is where their variation stops. But since their line is significantly better than mine, I wouldn't actually call this an error on their part.

I guess I don't want to have to keep trying wrong moves if I can't find the solution. It would be nice if there was just an "I give up" button and then they show the answer. Thanks for suggestions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home