Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My loss to the Budapest

One of my games at the coffeehouse last weekend was against the Budapest. This is a gambit for black that starts 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e5 3. dxe5 Ng4. I don't like letting black have all the initiative, so I play a line that gives the pawn back. I have a feeling I'll be seeing the Budapest on a regular basis from this opponent, so if anyone has comments on any line of the Budapest, I'd be happy to hear it.

I posted the whole game at chesslog. I'll say a little more about two positions here.

After the opening moves, 4. Bf4 Nc6 5. Nf3 Bb4+ 6. Nbd2 Qe7 7. a3 Ngxe5 8. Nxe5 Nxe5 9. e3 Bxd2+ 10. Qxd2 O-O 11. Be2 d6 12. O-O b6

White to move

Black has just played b6, no doubt to put his bishop on the long diagonal. I tried for a while to calculate something that would take advantage of the open diagonal before the bishop develops. The immediate Qd5 is met by c6. Bxe5 Qxe5 Bf3 doesn't get anywhere after Rb8.

Instead I settled on trying for a kind of minority attack. If I can break down the queenside pawns, black will be saddled with a weak, attackable structure. The game continued 13. b4 Bb7 14. Rab1 Rad8 15. Qc3 Qf6 16. Bxe5 dxe5 17. c5 h5 18. b5

White to move

I'm keeping with my plan of breaking down the queenside pawns. Unfortunately, I've underestimated the attacking that's coming on my king. I also misplay the defense pretty badly. 18. ... bxc5 19. Qxc5 Qg6 Black lets his third pawn hang without protection, it's as if my plans are working. Until, 20. f3 Rd2 21. Qc4?? This should have been immediately punished by Bd5. Black still won with 21. ... e4 22. f4 Bd5 23. Qc5 Rxe2 24. g3 Be6 25. f5 Qg5 0-1

It's important to take care of your house before you steal from your neighbors garden.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably your only real mistake was to allow Black to place his Rook on your 2nd rank. As you might know Rooks on 2nd and 7th rank are often lethal. Your opponent clearly had a firm understanding of the general principles. Other then that, you played really good. Nothing wrong with the line you chose.

Btw, you should update my link if you get the chance to. And i no longer go by the name of "dutchdefence" as you can see by the name used to write this comment.

Too bad you lost the game.

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger transformation said...

despite 21. Qc4 mishap, nice game, and surely very beautifully illustrated by you, here, and in the always eligant chessLog. regards, dk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home