Sunday, August 05, 2007

Back in the saddle

I've recently moved and start my new job tomorrow. In the meantime I've gotten back in the CT-Art habit. I'm starting back at the beginning and doing a second repitition of the problems. In the last two days I've re-done the first 250 problems:

CT-Art stats:
/-------.----------.----------\
| Level | Rep #1 | Rep #2 |
|-------|----------|----------|
| 10 | 97% | 99% |
|-------|----------|----------|
| 20 | 92% | 95% |
\-------^----------^----------/
CT-Art elo: 2050

On level 10 I made a mistake on only 1 problem -- perfection will have to wait 'til the next rep. I'm through 140 of the 286 problems of level 20 with minor improvement in the percentage.

Knowing how hard these problems get in later levels, I'm still in awe that De La Maza did the whole problem set in a single day. In his article he says to gather 1000 problems -- does anyone know if he used the first 1000 problems of CT-Art or all 1209? Maybe someone who has read the book knows.

Edit: A quick trip to the book store reveals that De La Maza did all 1209 problems from CT-Art. It is an amazing feat to do them all in a single day and twice in three days. I'd be interested to know if there are other people who have done that.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

doing 1,209 problems in one day? he must have been going pretty fast, and not eaten or gone to the bathroom. and when he went to sleep, i bet he saw saw chess pieces all night....

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Yes, I'm really impressed by it as well. Have you seen his articles on line? I think it took him over 8 hours to do all the problems and he describes it as quite a difficult ordeal.

DLM seems to have performed one of the most remarkable training regimens on record and his performance in tournaments speaks for itself. For this reason, it's worth the time of chess improvement enthusiasts to be familiar with his story. The articles online are pretty much sufficient though. If you're truly curious about his book, do what some others have done and make a free perusal of it at a bookstore.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Success with your new job.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

A few of the early Knights did it. Don Q, Pale Morning Dun, perhaps Nezha, Fussy Lizard, and perhaps Chris Kilgore. Though none of them went all the way through Level 90. I think they went up through Level 60 or 70 in one day. Still impressive though.

I have done 300 in a day a few times with my mini-circles, and that was taxing enough! Yes, his effort was herculean.

I like the text table.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home