Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Blitz Tactic

There are cool tactics in blitz games and they can be found OTB while playing 'Real Chess'. Anyone who tells you blitz is not chess, just isn't doing it right. Blue Devil Knight is about to enter a real foray into the world of blitz chess and I'd like to leave this nugget as inspiration.
Black to move
White has played Rde1 in response to Rxh3 leaving his queen en prise while threatening to get into the back rank. It took me a moment, but even in blitz there is plenty of time to calculate the resulting position and see that the ending is winning for black after Rxc3 Re8+ Bxe8 Rxe8+ Qc8 Rxc8+ Kxc8 bxc3.

If blitz isn't chess, why does the guy making the better chess moves win? Play blitz with pride! Play blitz for fun! And don't ever let anyone tell you that it's not chess.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger transformation said...

thank you. i can go on living now, after some real doubts entirely cleared by you here with real aplomb. warmly, dk

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

I'm not sure I totally get your meaning, but I sense some sarcasm as I'm sure you were doing just fine before my post. :-).

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger transformation said...

i truly hate sacracism, which is meant as delayed anger or veiled hosility.

but rather facetiousness in humor. didnt mean to creat confusion. sorry. the joke is that you say what i believe, and therefore while i dont need anyone to support this view, i truly appreciate its representation.

everyone says play slow games. but fewer say play a lot of fast games, and get the rythem. my friend gomorrah at ICC says that bullet is the true test of chess intuition, since sufficient time to calculate cannot exist. as you might know, i play 0/4 or 3:04+ for 43 moves, which is not a total mess...

i was just glad to see you write this post, since BDK has his epiphany, and i have believed all along that a lot of blitz--but not blitz exclusively--can compress chess experience in a most potent way, but it also needs quick review so that the games dont accumulate to nothing, as can very quickly occur. i especially review the openings, key tactics, and always the endings.

i also thought you put it all so well. that is what i meant.

warmly, dk

 
At 8:51 AM, Blogger Loomis said...

Cool. Thanks, DK.

I'll also say that if I play a game of chess and it doesn't help me get any better, so what? I play chess because it makes me happy, not because it makes me better at chess. (Yes, I do know this is a chess improvement blog.)

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Huzzahhh! Onward with lances pointed for many adventures with Rocinante.

Nice vision. That's the kind of thing I'd screw up as black (and as white, for that matter). :)

If Transform has a fault, it isn't sarcasm but his excessive honesty.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

After Rxc3 Re8+ why not Bc8? It looks even better to me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home