Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tactics, tactics, everywhere

Even blitz games can be full of great tactical nuggets. It's easy to miss them as the clock winds down, so occassionally I'll go back and mine a game or two that seemed like there were some fireworks that should have gone off.

Here is a position from a game this week where I'm attacking on the kingside but didn't find the final tactical coup:
White to move

Here white is forced to play Bg3 otherwise the following sequence from the game is forced, g3 Qh5 h4 Qg4 Kh1 Qh3 Rg1 leading to this juicy position:

Black to move

Here is where I failed to finish it off. I played Be2 trying to get into the back rank, but there is a more clever spot for the bishop. Bc4!! This gains time on the queen allowing for Rxd1 punishing the overworked rook on g1.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. i try to go back and see things i missed. i see a few things, it makes me wonder how much i missed that i didn't and still don't see...

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger likesforests said...

I'm curious. Do you feed the tactics you missed into your study program, so you don't make the same mistakes in the future? Temposchlucker used to do exactly that, and it seemed like a good method, although I haven't tried it myself.

That you think you should've found all the nuances of that position at blitz speeds tells alot about your tactical strength. My "Oops!" mistakes still look similar to what The Common Man did here as White:

http://instinctofdaydream.blogspot.com/search/label/Hall%20of%20Shame

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Loomis said...

I don't have a collection of my tactical oversights to study from. That would be nice, but I don't know how to do it, or don't have the right software.

I think "wish" I found Be4 is closer to the truth than "should've" found. I think I should find Be4 in slower games, but in blitz, it would be rare for me to find such a move.

Be4 is one of those psychologically difficult moves. Sometimes it's hard for me to move a piece backward when I'm trying to attack.

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger transformation said...

i guess im not on your list! nice post, dk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home