Thursday, October 26, 2006

Tactics while tired

Today I had an interesting experience doing CTS tactics. I was doing problems there even though I was a bit tired. At the time I thought "Is this really affecting me?" and I honestly wasn't sure. After resting a bit, taking a nap, and refocusing, I did some more problems later in the day. Thanks to the reappearance of the ratings graph for the 200 most recent problems solved, I can show you the result:


The bumpy region from 0 to about 135 that hovers between roughly 1642 and 1646 was my tired solving session. My post rest, refreshed, ready to go session starts between 130 and 140 and the rating takes off, getting to 1660 in about 65 problems.

I felt a clear difference when I started my second session. It felt like my eyes were far more active, moving more quickly and finding/seeing the pieces better. I don't know what this tells me about chess improvement, other than I probably wasn't learning anything while tired. Additionally, this indicates that tired is not a good condition to be playing in.



I'm heading out of town for the weekend, so there will be no Friday update, here are the current CT-Art stats:

  • level 10: 97% (110 problems)
  • level 20: 92% (286 problems)
  • level 30: 87% (110 done, 111 to go)
  • elo: 2149

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can confirm this from my own experience: I get better results at CTS when I am less tired and the best half an hour or so after I had my afternoon coffee/tea. too bad that I usually have to work at this time :-) On the downside, I made terrible blunders in my correspondence games on several occasions when I made moves in the middle of the night. Being awake certainly helps!

Quick question: how long was your nap? May be I should try that, too.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

I only napped for about an hour. I had stayed up late the night before and gotten up early that morning leading to my tiredness. I think an hour nap was just enough to let me be attentive and focused long enough to bang out some tactics.

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness! Does this mean that I never learn anything... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home