Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tournament Report: Moderate Success

In 4 games I had 1 win, 1 draw, and 2 losses. Everyone I played was 100 - 150 points higher rated than me, so this is not a terrible result. For my own ego, I'll show a position from the only game I won:
White to play
Opponent, 1805Loomis
White is to play and win. The answer can be found along with the full game at: www.chesslog.de/users/loomis/?game=538
The other games from the tournament are also posted at chesslog.de. They are games 537 through 540.
Overall I feel good about the tournament. Playing higher rated players and analyzing the games has shown me what some of my flaws are. Now I'll have to focus on correcting them. And of course, back to the tactics exercises!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

It's remarkable how the attention is attracted to Nxf7 after so much tactical exercises. It's the first move I would look at:)

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Loomis said...

I wish I had a clear recollection of my thoughts on this move. I know I considered Ba3 (which is also winning), but I can't remember how quickly the Nxf7 idea came to mind. I do recall clearly my thoughts after Nxf7 came to my head. It took me quite a while to calculate the remaining moves.

Sometimes I'm concerned that moves like this are easy to find when it's a tactics puzzle and we know there is a winning move. Finding this move during a game takes a bit of the edge off that concern.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Great tactic! Congrats on your tournament results as well.

/Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home