Saturday, November 11, 2006

CT-Art, level 30 finished

It's been a little longer than usual since I posted, I've had a shortage of time lately. In the meantime I have finished level 30 of CT-Art and begun level 40. I was disappointed in the number of mistakes near the end of level 30. I understand that when you put together over 1200 tactics problems there are bound to be a few oversights, what is really annoying is when I spend 15 minutes on a problem when I've found what is supposed to be the right answer and the refutation to it in the first 3-5 minutes.

Anyway, I'm going to post the problem numbers and diagrams here in the hopes that I won't waste time on these problems again in the future.

CT-Art problem 573

White to play. I played Bxf6 Nxf6 Nxe6, Nxe6 was rejected by CT-Art even though it is crushingly winning. The Ct-Art solution, Bxe6+, is also winning.

This position is from CT-Art problem 575.


The position is after Rg3xg5 Kxg5 Qg4+, the CT-Art solution continues with Kh7 and Bxf5+, there is no mention of the move Qg5 in the diagram position. This moves save the position for black. I saw all this from the beginning and wasted a lot of time trying to find an actual win, which there isn't.

This position comes from the first problem of level 40, number 618.


The CT-Art solution is Rxe8, planning to meet Qxe8 with Qxd2 and gxh6 with Nf6+. But there's no way to meet Rxg2+. So instead of Rxe8 I played Nf6+ because then gxf6 Rxe8 Rxg2 can be met by Kxg2.

Here are the current CT-Art stats:

  • level 10: 97% (110 problems)
  • level 20: 92% (286 problems)
  • level 30: 86% (221 problems)
  • level 40: 85% (12 done, 192 left)
  • elo: 2168

In total I've done 629 problems, so 580 to go. I think it will be close as to whether I'll finish by the end of the year, but I'm keeping that as my goal.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:08 PM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Congratulations to finishing level 30! It is really annoying with the faults in the program. I'm thinking about putting CT-Art on the shelf after my first circle. This is due to the fact that I'm more of a book-guy than a screen-dude though.

BTW, you have any tournament games coming up soon?

/Chris

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Thanks for the congrats. I've heard a lot of different people recommend the repetition technique for learning tactics. I'm hoping that if I've identified the mistaken problems they won't slow me down or bother me so much the next time through. Presumably solving will be faster too.

Next weekend there is an informal local club vs. club match. It's unrated and probably at 'action' time controls (G/30 or G/45). After that there is a one day tournament I might play in December 9th and a two day at the end of January, but the two day is a long drive away.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Ron said...

Hey loomis,

I do pretty much the same thing with the mistakes. The second and subsequent times through, I'll think "oh, this is the problem where the program expects 'xyz', but the best move is actually 'abc.'" I'll then make the "xyz" move so that the program will mark me correct.

Some may feel that this is reinforcing the wrong answer, but I find that after a few times through, I'll spot the "correct" answer immediately while also remembering that the program wants something different...so I don't think that it has an adverse effect as long as you make mental note of the reason for two "solutions" each time through.

Ron

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Ron said...

I just had another thought after I posted: Not only is it not likely to reinforce the wrong answer, but I think it may actually be beneficial since you are forced to better understand the position in order to remember both the correct line as well as the incorrect one.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

I concur: really annoying program faults are, well, really annoying.

I did something similar for TASC Chess Tutor's glitches. Collectively a were not as bad as some that CT-Art has.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home