Tuesday, October 31, 2006

CT-Art, focus on the king

I'm pretty sure I'm learning from the CT-Art exercises, but they seem very artificial to me. I don't recall exactly, but it seems every problem is based on the king in some way, either checkmating or using checks to win material. In contrast, CTS problems are often just winning some material based on a tactic like a pin or fork without anything to do with the king.

The repeated theme of working against the king narrows the search enough that sometimes the problems are too easy. In some cases, the opponent has a mate threat so you know the answer has to be a check and there's only one check! Even if the check means sacrificing the queen, you can be sure it's right and then calculating the line is not so difficult.

Another problem I'm having is that it never marks problem 461 has having been solved. Despite the fact that I solved it the first time it came up and I've tried going back and solving it again. Anyone else ever have this difficulty?



CT-Art stats:
  • level 10: 97% (110 problems)
  • level 20: 92% (286 problems)
  • level 30: 88% (144 done, 77 to go)
  • elo: 2167

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Hi there!

I’m trying to solve some problems with my new template and wondered if you could help me out. Could you please check out my blog and see if the layout is as it is supposed to, that is with the title “Samurai Chess” at the top of the page.

It seems that people with Internet Explorer 6.0 or older has problems viewing the page correctly, namely some problems with the scrolling function which puts the title and posts further down on the page.. Some have updated their IE to the new 7.0 which seems to have worked out fine. Please get back to me if you experience any problems.

Thanks!

Sincerely

/Chris aka Samuraipawn

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger James Wilson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger SamuraiPawn said...

Had the same problem with number 461. I tried re-doing it but that didn't work either.

/Chris

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

Ok, thanks, sounds like it is a bug in the software that doesn't allow that problem to be marked as solved. I'll just have to try to ignore it. It is annoying to have to try to track down which number problem I'm on every session.

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

I think J'adoube is the expert on bugs in that program and also its incorrect analyses.

 
At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen the same bug with 461 as well. I'll see if I can find a way to fix it, maybe by playing with the dat files. Would be great if there was a better solution.

-Heiner

 

Post a Comment

<< Home