Monday, April 30, 2007

Big weekend

I had some time over the weekend and managed to make a lot of headway on the CT-Art problems. At this rate, I'll be done by... ok, ok, last time I got into the prediction game I was waaaay off. So no more predictions. I'm just going to do problems when I feel like it. I've now done a total of 879 exercises, so I've got 330 left of the 1209 problems in CT-Art.

I like getting back into chess, but what I really need is a tournament to look forward to. Alas, that probably won't happen for over a month. At least I have plenty of time for tactical training!!


Here is a sample from Level 50:


And here's the line that I saw that wasn't quite the right solution:

Nef3+ and now:

if gxf3 Qxf3 when mate cannot be stopped.

if Kh1 Bh3 gxh3 Ne1 threatening the queen and Qf3+. What I missed is f4 Nxc2 Bxe8 -- whoops the rook is hanging at the end of the line. Fritz says black has an advantage here, but there's a lot of work to get the win.

Stat update:
Level 50: 82% (58 done, 76 to go)
CT-Art elo: 2322

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Ron said...

Hi Loomis,

Glad to have you back to "active" status :)

I've re-added you to my sidebar. Keep on movin' along.

Ron

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Loomis said...

Thanks, Ron, obviously I have some major renovations to make on my sidebar. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon so I can easily keep up with everyone's blogging.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Cratercat said...

Hi Loomis - Appreciated your comments on my last post and I also put you on my sidebar. You have a rather modest and unpatronizing tone as to the advice you offer for someone who's +2300. Very refreshing. I'm curious as to how long you were inactive with chess. I've been playing almost daily since I discovered my passion for the game about 3 years ago, but I often wonder if I were to step back from it how it would effect my play after returning. I'd imagine that the basic principles would still remain internalized, but tactical vision would have to be re-ignited.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Loomis said...

I should be clear that the elo that I give is a CT-Art stat, not my actual chess rating. My actual chess rating is many hundreds of points lower. But otherwise, thanks for dropping by. I've now taken the time to readjust my sidebar after my blog-vacation so I can be sure to visit to everyone.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger likesforests said...

That's a tough one. 1...Nef3+ 2.gxf3 Qxf3+ 3...Qb7#, jumps out at me, but I also see if 1...Kh1 victory is unclear. Even a follow-up Bh3 doesn't lead to an easy win.

*** Spoiler Below ***
According to Rybka, a reordering solves it: 1...Qf3 2.gxf3 Nef3+ 3.Kh1 Bh3 4...Bg2#.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger likesforests said...

cratercat - My 6 month hiatus cost me 100 tactical elo, although 50 of that came back within a week. I know most of the endgames and strategy I knew before I left, although my thought process and opening repertoire took some damage. Hope that helps!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home